Smart Defrag is a FREE, light, and stable disk defragment tooldesigned for maximum hard drive performance. Based on IObit latest disk defrag engine and “Boot Time Disk Defrag” technology, Smart Defrag not only provides defragmentation, like any typical disk defragmenter can do, but also intelligently streamlines your files based on using frequency, thus accelerating disk speed for faster data access!
Different defrag methods and reports
There are multiple defrag modes available: defrag only, defrag and fast optimize, defrag and full optimize, or defrag and prioritize files. What’s more, Smart Defrag supports automatic, boot time and scheduled defrag jobs. Plus, you can enable the computer to shut down, sleep, hibernate or reboot once Smart Defrag finishes a task.
Automatic Defrag is a defragmenting method that is initiated once a volume has been idle for more than several minutes, and it pauses whenever resource usage exceeds a certain number (these numbers can be configured in the “Settings” menu).
Boot Time Defrag performs a defragmenting task on files that cannot be safely moved while Windows in running. You can also schedule defrags if you don’t want to interfere. Furthermore, you can create an exclusion list for any files and folders you do not want to be analyzed or defragmented.
Evaluation and conclusion
All in all, Smart Defrag delivers very good results when it comes to disk defragmentation. It uses a normal amount of CPU and RAM, and it’s intuitive enough to be handled not only by experienced users, but also by beginners.
- Higher File Access Speed:
- Disk fragmentation is generally the main cause of slow and unstable computer performance. In order to accelerate hard drive for faster data access and outstanding disk performance, Smart Defrag 5 provides efficient defragmentation technology to hard drives and SSD by multi-threading defragging at the same time, consolidating free space and large files defragging.
- Up to 100% Faster PC Startup:
- Specific boot files in the system disk are not allowed to be moved safely while Windows is running, which causes a slower and slower system startup. The Boot-time Defrag feature of Smart Defrag 5 will easily do this job for you, it can help you safely defrag files on HDD.
- Safe & Automatic Disk Defrag:
- Smart Defrag 5 not only provides disk defragmentation as any other tool does, but also optimizes it by intelligently streamlining your files based on using frequency. With IObit latest disk defrag engine, it is just as safe for your files as using Windows. And you just need to install & forget it. Smart Defrag 5 will automatically work for you with no data lost.
- 300 MHz processor or faster processor
- 256 MB of RAM
- 30 MB of free hard disk space
- DVD or CD-ROM drive